William Ross came from Scotland to Roanoke, VA. then to Williamston, Martin Co. NC where he died. Married Elizabeth SMITHWICK.
William Ross born 9 August 1731 Williamston, NC, died 25 December, 1801 in Williamston, Martin Co. NC.
married 1756 Mary Griffin born 1738 Bristol, Prince George, VA died 1802 Martin Co, NC
INFORMATION AND CHART OF THE SMITHWICK FAMILY
- John ROSS born 3 September 1757 in Tyrell Co, N died 1840 in Stewart Co, TN.
His son Harmon ROSS died 1832 in Henry Co, TN. Married Dorothy CHURCHELL.
Other children are not known.
- William ROSS born 17 January 1760 in Williamston, Martin Co, NC. He died Cape Girardeau, Missouri May 24, 1820. Married Elizabeth ___ then Jane______
He served in the Revolutionary War.
- Martin ROSS born 27 November 1762 in Williamston, NC. Died in 2 Feb 1828 NC. He was a Baptist minister.
- Winifred ROSS born 9 March 1765 married ____ ROGERS. Died in Tennessee.
- Nancy Nannie ROSS born 26 March 1767 in Williamston, NC; married Rice REDDICK; died in Tennessee.
- James ROSS born 19 March 1769 in Williamston, NC, died 1 Jan 1849 NC; married Lydia Elizabeth COBURN in 1781 in Anson
Co. NC; Children: Elizabeth (Betsy), Dugal W., Lydia, Nancy,and Hugh married Nancy NASH, Francis, Lydia, Spicy, Sarah; Thomas G., and Margaret. He was a Baptist minister.
- Mary ROSS born 11 February 1771 died 1773 in North Carolina.
- Nathan ROSS born 2 November 1772 Williamston, NC died 14 July 1834 in Stewart County, Tennessee. married Lydia BEST/NOBLES-WHEATLEY.
She was born 12 July 1775 and died before 1817/1818 in Martin County, NC. Nathan married 2nd Martha (Agnes) WALLACE in Martin County, NC; Children:
Elizabeth born 1803 Williamston, NC died 1859 in Tennessee married 1819 Axum Green WALLACE in Stewart County, Tennessee. Son of William D. and Susannah EXUM-WALLACE.
He died 1846, Jack, Alfred, Reuben, William, Dudley, Benjamin (Benny), Mary (Polly) married Edward C. ACREE, Harriet, Etna, Marian.
- Reuben ROSS born 9 May 1776 in NC married Mildred (Milly) YARRELL. Children: Nancy, Polly, James, Maria, Garrard, Thomas, Martin, and Reuben the 3rd.
- Elizabeth ROSS born 3 March 1779 married Noah REDDICK.