NOTE: IF YOU WOULD LIKE DETAILED INFORMATION OF ALL 10 CHILDREN; LAND RECORDS; CLICK ON THIS LINK. IT IS 32 PAGES THAT YOU CAN PRINT OUT.
Our William ROSS was the 4th generation of ROSS. Scotland 3 generations before America
1st gen: William de ROSS; m. Euphemia de Bailol
2nd gen: Hugh ROSS; m Margaret Graham, d/o David Graham
3rd gen; Hugh ROSS, b 1680 Naim, Naimshire, Scotland, d. 1740 N C; m Margaret DeBarclay, b 1685 Scotland, d 1743 N C
4th gen: William ROSS b. 1700 came from Scotland to Roanoke, VA. then to Williamston, Martin Co. NC where he died 25 Feb 1760. Married 8 Aug 1731 Elizabeth SMITHWICK
b. 1700 Cambridge, Middlesex Co. MA d/o Samuel Smithwick and Mary Swain(other children are not found documented)
Click here Download article Chart of tracing our Ross ancestors to 1596 in Scotland. This is in landscape form to fit the chart.
It is implied that his son William ROSS was one of the earliest settlers in Martin County, NC
William Ross born 9 Aug 1731 Williamston, NC, died 25 Dec, 1801 in Williamston, Martin Co. NC.
married 1756 Mary Griffin born 1738 Bristol, Prince George, VA died 1802 Martin Co, NC
INFORMATION AND CHART OF THE SMITHWICK FAMILY
- John ROSS born 3 Sept 1757 in Tyrell Co, NC died 1840 in Stewart Co, TN. He served in the Revolutionary War. Click here Download article original Petition for Pension
Children: 1. Harmon b? died 1832 in Henry Co, TN, married Dorothy CHURCHELL, 2. Henry, 3. James, 4. John, 5. Luke, 6. Martha, 7. Nancy, 8. Rachel, 9. Sarah,
10. William, 11. Thomas b 1778 NC 12. Samuel B 1789, 13. Kenneth
- William ROSS born 17 Jan 1760 in Williamston, Martin Co, NC. He died Cape Girardeau, Mo., May 24, 1820. Married Elizabeth SMITHWICK then Jane______
- Martin ROSS born 27 Nov 1762 in Williamston, NC. Died in 2 Feb 1828 NC. He was a Baptist minister.
- Winifred ROSS born 9 March 1765 married ____ ROGERS. Died in TN.
- Nancy Nannie ROSS born 26 March 1767 in Williamston, NC; married Rice REDDICK; died 1830 in Stewart Co. TN. Children: 1. John b 1775 TN, 2. Fanny b 1773 NC,
3. Mary b 1797
- James ROSS born 19 March 1769 in Williamston, NC, died 1 Jan 1849 NC; married Lydia Elizabeth COBURN in 1781 in Anson Co. NC; He was a Baptist minister.
Children: 1. Elizabeth (Betsy), 2. Dougal W., 3. Mary Pauline, 4. Nancy, 5. Hugh, 6. Lydia, 7. Spicy, 8. Thomas G., and 9.Margaret.
- Mary ROSS born 11 Feb 1771 died 1773 in Martin CO NC.
- Nathan Milton ROSS born 2 Nov 1773 Williamston, NC died 14 July 1834 in Stewart Co, TN. married Lydia BEST/NOBLES-WHEATLEY.
born 12 July 1775 and died before 1817/1818 in Martin County, NC. Nathan married 2nd Martha (Agnes) WALLACE in Martin Co, NC; Children:
Elizabeth born 1803 Williamston, NC died 1859 in TN married 1819 Axum Green WALLACE in Stewart Co, TN. Son of William D. and Susannah EXUM-WALLACE.
Nathan died 1846, Children: 1. Jack, 2. Alfred, 3. Reuben, 4. William, 5. Dudley, 6. Benjamin (Benny), 7. Mary (Polly) married Edward C. ACREE, 8. Harriet, 9. Etna, 10. Marian.
- Reuben ROSS born 9 May 1776 in Williamston, Martin Co. NC married Mildred (Milly) YARRELL. Children: 1. Nancy, 2. Polly, 3. James Hunter, 4. Mildred, 5. Maria, 6. Garrad,
7. Reuben jr, 8. Martin, 9. Thomas, 1. Mary died 28 Jan 1860
- Elizabeth ROSS born 3 March 1779 married Noah REDDICK.